Monday, November 2, 2015

Paper Towns - - Book VS. Movie

Picture from: https://7sya.wordpress.com/2015/08/04/paper-towns-by-john-green/
Paper Towns. The book? The movie? That's almost always the question when a book has been turned into a movie.

I finished the book a few days ago and I finally watched the movie last night.
In some cases I've found a book to movie go over pretty well. I.E. The Hunger Games and The Fault In Our Stars. Those books seemed to have transferred pretty well. But I have also come across some that either didn't mention everything (and I know that's hard to do because in books, you can describe things better and you can "hear" the thoughts of the characters) or just didn't get translated well enough (in my opinion).




Paper Towns was a good book. I recently went to Colorado to visit my best friend, and on the plane ride back (I was on the 'last' chapter - hour 1,2,3..) I couldn't stop reading it. I did stop a little to get my drink and move so the person next to me could use the restroom. But besides that, I was reading for about 2 1/2 hours straight.

BUT, when I did watch the movie, there were some things that they were how I imagined they would be and some things that weren't.


W A R N I N G       P O S S I B L E       S P O I L E R S       A H E A D !!!!!!!!



Some of the thins I imagined:
-Lacey
-Jase
-Jase/Becca scenes
-Radar
-Kid version of Margo
-Qs parents
-Qs room
-Myrna
-Roadtrip gas station scene (loved that little cameo in the movie ;) if you've seen the movie, you'll know what part I'm talking about!)
-and the getting back scenes with all of Margos friends

Things I imagined differently:
-Ben
-Chuck
-The van
-Ruthie
-The roadtrip
-The roadtrip cow scene (was looking forward to screaming Ben)
-Prom/Graduation/Trip sequence
-Arriving in Agloe
-Finding Margo
-and just the whole ending in general (I personally like the books ending WAY more!)
I was really looking forward to seeing how well they were going to do the ending.


All in all, I think the movie is good if you haven't read the book, but personally..... I think the book is better.



Movie Rating: 6.5/10 (I agree with IMDb)
Book Rating: 9/10
Movie to Book Rating: 6/10

1 comment

  1. hmmm...good to know...i'll have to check out the book and maybe see the film. thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

© Carina Is
Maira Gall